Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Funeral

January 18, 2014


I missed yesterday’s journal running around doing as many weekend errands as possible because this weekend is overloaded.  That is ok because I don’t want this journal to be a “job”, I want it to be something I enjoy doing.

Today was Steve Arnold’s funeral and I was so impressed with the huge amount of support the “community” showed his whole family.  There were 10 year olds that he touched through Children’s Church all the way up to 80+ year olds that he had befriended at church.  Many ex-basketball players were there to support his sons and honor him.  As I told his spouse during the greeting time, today was selfish sorrow because we are going to miss Steve but he is in a much better place than any of us are right now – he is in Heaven with Jesus, God, and all other believers throughout history!  His boys gave a great eulogy as well!


What I learned today is that people come together during funerals and really contemplate their life story when faced with the thought of death and what comes after it!  I am truly comfortable with death and realize that we have much more in store for us after death than living right now.  But right now I am alive and I need to share that same feeling with everyone I come in touch with.  I don’t always do a good job of that, but I am going to go before the Lord and ask for His strength to start “loving” others as I love myself.  One day that will be a post of it’s own but for today I am too emotionally and physically exhausted to go down that route!  Will there be more words about Steve in future posts?  I imagine so!

No comments:

Post a Comment